Colocation is a service where you pay for all technical and infrastructural requirements for the complete functioning, maintenance and upkeep of your coveted server. Your server is what practically drives your business. Therefore, when it comes to a colocation service, landing cheap colocation services pricing may not be your sole concern. What else should you look at?
What is more important than cheap colocation services pricing
- Cheap managed colocation services are certainly available in huge numbers. However, not all of them may be worth your time. Here are some of the key attributes to look for in a colocation services provider.
- Uninterrupted power supply and complete round the clock cooling systems with continuous availability. Server rooms need to maintain a certain stable temperature. And any disruption in the same might not be so great for the health of the machine. Therefore, uniform cooling supported by stable and continuous power supply is mandatory.
- Cheap colocation services pricing should not be an excuse for more downtime. You need a promise of 99.98% uptime and nothing else. Commitment should also include proven latency.
- You also need a highly specialized physical security mechanism that is multi layered. There should be fencing along the perimeters, additional support by gates, video surveillance, biometric scanners, keycards, mantraps and of course round the clock security for the facility.
- Your colocation support system should also provide you with complete round the clock server client support without any exceptions. Remember, your server is just a machine. No matter how sophisticated your mechanisms are, machines are bound to fail, and most often at odd hours. And this is when your round the clock service support system saves the day for you. If you do not have a support system in place, it could simply mean hours and hours of down time.
Cheap Colocation Services: The All Important Price Points
Well, engaging a colocation service is expensive. Therefore, assessing the price points is important. What are the factors to keep in mind when choosing a cost effective facility that promises less wastage?
- First, it is important to check on the pricing policy and understand exactly how you are likely to be charged. You should be okay with the tariff plan.
- Second, choose a location with low power tariffs. Lower power tariffs would mean lower bills and hence lower prices for your colocation facility.
- Third, keep an eye on space charges. Rent just the area you require, if that’s possible. Do not go overboard on space hiring. You should not be paying for the space that lies idle. Check well.
- Companies that believe in competitive pricing are the ones preferred for cheap Colocation services. Get a hang of the company policy.
Cheap Colocation services should be subjected to comprehensive evaluation. Remember, just because the prices are less, the services should not be compromised. You need to check on the deliverables before signing on the dotted one. It should be a well equipped facility.